Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Gas Line Test and New Furnace

I've been testing my gaslines for some time now and trying to figure out why I am losing pressure. When I called the gas inspecter to ask him what kind of test is required, I was told that by code, I would have to pressure the line up to 15 psi and see if it holds for 15 minutes.(That's what I was told for here anyway, but it could be totally different for other areas.) It seems that I do past this test, but over time I do lose pressure, and that kinda bothers me. I have done a bubble test, (cover each joint with a soapy water solution and look for air bubbles ), but I can't seem to find anything. When I put the air into the lines, at first I just closed off the gas valve. So eventually I decided to close the valve, then take off the air fitting and plug the air entrance off. I still lose air pressure over time. I did another bubble test and really looked closely for bubbles, but nothing still. Now I am frustrated. Maybe it's the gauge itself leaking. I bought another gauge and I'm going to try that tomorrow.
The gauge was at 16 psi(2 notches below 20)  when I started my test. I don't know why the picture loaded on it's side either, (but that will be a whole new post). lol.. just kidding.
Today was kind of a waste for working on the house. Went to town to pick up my furnace and I decided to take my work truck into town for it's annual inspection. So  now I can get some things done without that being on my mind now.
My furnace finally came in. It is 70,000 BTUs. I don't think it will have a problem heating things up in the house, as long as the batteries are holding their end of the deal. I am hoping to get alot of use out of this baby in the winter, but it is quite possible that the power system may not want to work with me on this. If it don't work out as planned, it is totally ok with me, as there are other options. When I first decided to get a forced air furnace, I had spring, summer and fall in mind for it anyway. There are about 3 months out of the year that I call generator season. I am quite sure, however, that this should at least beable  take over in the night as the woodstove fire dies down. We will all be alot smarter once I start experimenting with things. I totally realize that when reading things about solar power and all that, that forced air furnaces are a no no. I do think this one will have it's place in my system though.  
 
Disclaimer--IMPORTANT


This is a personal blog, mainly for my own use. I am building a house with my own two hands, but I am learning alot of things as I go. I do not claim to know what I am doing, or if anything I do is even close to being done correctly or safely. So please, if you are planning on using any of my ideas or methods for your own use, please get professional advice before actually following through with your actions. I will not be held responsible for any injuries or damages of any kind caused by information or comments from this blog.
 

13 comments:

  1. Another thing to take into consideration regarding your furnace would be what the vent pipes are made of. This is important because these can actually affect the efficiency level of the gas furnace. Depending on the type of furnace, they can be made either of PVC plastic or metal. Pipes made of PVC puts the furnace at a maximum of 90% efficiency, making it highly efficient. Gas furnaces with PVC plastic pipes have an efficiency level of approximately greater than 89%. This classifies them as condensing units. Metal vent pipes reach a maximum of about 85% efficiency, still also high, but this now makes gas furnaces with metal pipes non-condensing units.

    Naoki Dieter

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is nice.Honeywell is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services, control technologies for buildings, homes and industry, automotive products; turbochargers and specialty materials.Gas Valves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All furnaces have its own size or capacity for cooling and it is based on the BTU rating. It is a measurement of how much energy the furnace is able to remove from your home. So you have a 70,000 BTU furnace, huh? Well, the larger the BTU rating, the more cooling capacity your furnace has. Just make sure that you have the right size of furnace for your home because the highest level of efficiency of the gas consumption is attained when the right size of furnace is installed. Also, an oversized furnace may result to overheating since the house can’t sustain such high volume of air flow, and it may build up pressure inside the home.

    Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its interesting to know that you got this furnace. On the other hand, thanks for imparting your ideas and methods here.

    sheet metal contractors calgary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naoki mentioned an important point here – about the vent pipes. However, it is not only affected by the furnace’s type, but of its size as well. Although, I don’t think you’ll have a problem with heating things up in your house if you got the right size of furnace for your BTU output need. When was the last time you checked it, by the way? In any case, you can always ask your furnace supplier for a more accurate furnace size suggestion if you were not satisfied with the system’s performance. ;)

    Mechteld Abelli

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just checked it out a few days ago. It works nice, although I still don't even have my registers installed. Been busy trying to get all the outside stuff done while the weather permits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for these tips! I have been wanting to upgrade to a newer coleman gas furnace, and I did not know that I needed to test the gas line like this. Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the informative post about furnace. I have high efficiency Lennox gas furnace and is it good? because I am satisfied with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous info and great blog i like it so much Amana GME95

    ReplyDelete