Sunday, May 27, 2012

Done Furnace Ducting

Just about.

Im getting tired of looking at furnace ducting myself. lol. This was number 3 chunk of heat ducting, and it was supposed to be the last, but after thinking and planning and more thinking, I deciced to buy another chunk.
I had to cut some of it off. All this just for a bathroom register. But now it's done.
I even got a little technical on the camera and got of shot of me pretending to do something. I don't know what it is, but trying to pose for a picture that you take yourself looks kinda dumb. lol.
See, that's what I'm talking about.
I had to build myself some kind of a connector for my air drop to hook into. I know my terms on all this stuff is'nt real professional and some of the workmanship might not be either, but I think it's all going to work for me. I really hope so anyway.
And the air drop boot connecting into the what ya call it that I built.
I'm really glad to see all the main ducting up. Now I do have a little more space for myself to get around. I am now working on the electrical, plumbing the condensation and  gas line in, and running the air intake and exhaust pipes. I still also have the branch ducting to do also. I hope to get an inspection on my gaslines this week and get started on some drywall mudding. Another learning experience.


Disclaimer--IMPORTANT

This is a personal blog, mainly for my own use. I am building a house with my own two hands, but I am learning alot of things as I go. I do not claim to know what I am doing, or if anything I do is even close to being done correctly or safely. So please, if you are planning on using any of my ideas or methods for your own use, please get professional advice before actually following through with your actions. I will not be held responsible for any injuries or damages of any kind caused by information or comments from this blog.

16 comments:

  1. Good ducting and camera work. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're finally in some photos... I was beginning to wonder who was realllllly doing the work. :) Drywall mudding, huh? Yeah.... have FUN with that! You'll be painting in no time! And then moving in! You're getting closer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynnanne I've got other photos of me on here. You just gotta look way back somewhere. It is me doing most of it, but there are days I wish I had a clone. I can't wait till the painting is happening. My mom is eager to get in on all the fun, and my sister is too. We'll see. I will be moving in and I don't care how much is left to do. I like the old shack, but I'm gonna like the house alot more I think.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, your ductwork looks great! That's one thing I have not done here but hope too one day when the rest of the house is built. Looks like you are making good progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. I just hope it's all good. I guess maybe certain little flaws could cause annoying noises and stuff, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. It's gotta be good.

      Delete
  4. What's ducting? what does it do? does it move air? what heats the air? never really gets cold here, if it gets to zero the country grinds to a standstill!!! cold here means two jumpers! live your blog - one hell of a high tech shed!!! I thought I would find myself a davey crocket....a well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Froogs. Captured the name from your profile. That's exactly what the ducting does, it moves air. My furnace burns propane gas.Others may burn heating oil, natural gas, coal, wood, etc. Some even have electric heat elements. My furnace brings cooler air from the main floor down through the furnace burners and out to the main heat ducting. The main heat ducting runs just about the length of the house. The branch ducting (which is usually round piping) guides the heated air from the main ducting to individual rooms or areas of the house. I'm not an expert on furnaces or ducting, but I hope that answers your questions. I know a furnace like this in a smaller solar powered home like mine may not sound very frugal, but I do believe it will pay for itself somehow. The temperatures have dropped to -40 and colder at times here. I have glanced through your blog a bit, but hav'nt had time to get right into it. Looks pretty interesting so far though. I will have a closer look at a later time.

      Delete
    2. Froogs, I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "cold here means two jumpers". lol. Ya might have to help me out with that one.

      Delete
  5. A jumper = a woollen knitted item of clothing. If it gets really cold here, then we just need to wear two jumpers = we don't need a furnace as the UK has a mild climate, never gets too cold. My thermostat for my central heating is set at 15 degrees C, the house never gets that cold so it never switches it self on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Froogs. I am a little smarter now. I like it warmer than 15 C myself. I'd take two jumpers and a winter coat at that temp. I should live near Equador.

      Delete
  6. I have been following you for a while but this is the first time I have seen your picture...Glad it is summer so I can see you thru the thermals...Just left to go back on my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the visit Frann. Good luck with the diet. I'm on a bit of a diet too. I just eat real food instead of the processed stuff. So far so good. And less sugars, way less. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! To make sure that the furnace is working efficiently, observe if the heater is equally heating the house. Also, examine your bills to make sure that the price is consistent each month, and pay attention to any strange odors or noises that are coming from the furnace. If the furnace persists in showing those signs, a professional inspection could come in handy to diagnose the problem, and prevent further damage.

    Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Darryl. I really don't expect this furnace to do very much work for me over the years though. Some exceptions may be if I happen to get real lazy or handicapped in some ways, other wise it will probably only operate for maybe an hour or two per day during the winter months. Maybe not even that much, but who knows for sure.

      Delete
  9. Well, for someone who claims to have no professional experience with ductwork, you seem to have done a fine job! The craftsmanship is particularly impressive. The cuts are fine and neat, and there is no sign whatsoever of a job done haphazardly. I would suggest you clean your ducts regularly though. If you don’t maintain and clean them regularly, chances are dust, pollen, and other particles will collect on the components. Worse, if there is presence of moisture, you may see mold formations may occur.



    @Alyssa Flynn

    ReplyDelete