Thursday, May 17, 2012

Furnace ducting, Battery Box, Inverter.

I think I got that gas line leak conquered. It's still holding pressure. Today was another run all over town day. I had to go to the furnace place and come up with a plan for a piece of ducting  for them to build me. As my furnace is going under the stairs in the basement, some things with the ducting are not going to fit together with ordinary parts.

This is the plenum which comes off the top of the furnace, and a what ya ma call it that connects to the plenum. And they are in the process of making me a 90 elbow to come off the what ya ma call it. That's what I call it anyway, cuz I forgot its real name.

 And a bunch more ducting that I did'nt yet assemble. I have been trying to get this furnace in, then all the gas appliances, except the stove, will be in. Then I can get things inspected and  maybe utilize some of this for my drywall mudding. It still gets pretty chilly at night sometimes. The other night was pretty close to freezing. I hear that when mudding, things need warmer temps in order to set right, I guess. I sure don't plan on running my new furnace while things are real dusty, but my 2 propane heaters will probably be utilized in the evenings while I am mudding.


Dinners getting closer to that frying pan all the time.


Real close.

I almost forgot to show my battery box. It looks and sits kinda like a bench. I talked mom into coming over tomorrow to give it a shot of paint. I picked up a can of paint today that was less than half price because the tint was wrong for somebody. So the color will be what it is.  I want to paint it inside and out in hopes of helping to seal and preserve it. There will supposedly be a little sulphuric acid fumes floating around in there and hopefully they don't leak out into the house. This box will have a vent line going directly to the outdoors.  Wanted to get a picture of it before the paint.

        Oh ya, and over to the left a bit is my 24 volt magnum inverter hanging on the wall. I don't know if anyone thinks the same as myself, but that bit of solar equipment is kinda purty hanging on the wall. That inverter takes the power from my batteries and turns it into nice clean pure sinewave energy. It runs two hot legs of power, which means that it makes my house just about as normal as anyones, as far as power is concerned. I don't plan on running anything on 240 volt power, but if I wanted to, I could do it with this one inverter. It used to be that you would have to stack two inverters for two legs of power, but not anymore. This helps me wire up my breaker panel. If this inverter only ran one hot leg, I would only be able to use half of my breakers. I guess I could probably modify something in there to correct that(not sure though), but this is a more normal way of doing it. Possibly I may sound like I know my power, but in all reality, I hav'nt a clue. lol. Someone, please wish me some luck. Well ok I do have a bit of a clue, but I aint no pro.


Disclaimer--IMPORTANT


This is a personal blog, mainly for my own use. I am building a house with my own two hands, but I am learning alot of things as I go. I do not claim to know what I am doing, or if anything I do is even close to being done correctly or safely. So please, if you are planning on using any of my ideas or methods for your own use, please get professional advice before actually following through with your actions. I will not be held responsible for any injuries or damages of any kind caused by information or comments from this blog.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, I can always use a little luck no matter what I'm up to.

      Delete
  2. Doesn't look like your going to need luck dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evano. Maybe I need more than just luck Evano, possibly some profesional help or something.

      Delete
  3. Our battery box(es) are outside along the back wall of the cabin. As our solar system has grown, so have our boxes. The first two batteries are at the bottom of our electrical panel closet, two more are in a custom made wooden box to one side,and two additional ones are in a plastic container on the other side of the closet. All are tied together and linked to the inverter in the closet. On the inside wall is a toggle switch to turn the power on and off, and gauges to monitor the system. We do go outside in the winter to turn off the inverter at night to save power. Probably not something you would want to do in all the snow and cold. For us a bit of rain is easy to get through. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margy. It would have been nice to have my batteries outside, as the house is small enough as it is. But I found that when my batteries are outside in this cold area, I have to run my generator alot in the winter just to warm the batteries up. When the batteries are real cold they lose capacity and won't hold a charge for very long, then they have a risk of freezing also. I'm going to have 12 420AH 6 volt batteries in the house. All my switches are in the basement. I like the floating cabin.

      Delete
  4. We upgraded to the MagnaSine a while ago and I could not be happier. It is a great inverter and does more than we ever expected. You will be very pleased with it. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I'm glad to hear that. I hav'nt got around to testing mine yet, but ya, I think it will be good. Probably all I'm ever going to need for power.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a lot of work! Having a custom-made furnace for the stairs is definitely unique, but I figure it would still be a challenge to install. By the way, I think you were thinking about the supply duct. It is responsible for keeping the damper in place to help regulate the flow of air through the pipe that vents hot air from the furnace.


    @Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like you post its very informative. keep sahring more.
    12v dc inverter

    ReplyDelete