Thursday, August 20, 2009

Minor setback in the hay hauling.

I was off to a pretty good start this morning, until I was unloading my first load. I broke the the grapple. I weld some of my own stuff, but I am not about to tackle something like this. Thats what real welders are for. I kinda thought it would be a quick fix, but the welder man said about 2 to 3 hours. Well I aint gonna wait around, I wonder what else we have in the yard. The bobcat is gone somewhere. There are 3 track hoes to choose from.
I chose the 270 John Deere. I've never used a track hoe to handle bales with before. I should have had this puppy over on the acerage when the basement digging was going on. Something like this probably would have dug it in couple hours, and probably would have done a nicer job. But I get alot more satisfaction out of using my own resources as much as possible.




It actually worked pretty good to get them off with, but they still need to be stacked when I find the time. Or maybe the boss will do it for me.



I got all my bales moved off this field. And now I'm on a bit of a move to the next field for tomorrow, which is quite a long way from here. My new field will be about a 3 hour round trip or maybe a little bit more. They have a little over 200 hay bales for me and probably another 600 green feed bales once they get it all done. I can usually haul 34 bales in a load, unless they are rediculously big, in which case I would haul 30. It looks like I'm going to be a busy boy for a bit.




8 comments:

  1. At least you don't have to do them by horse and wagon, huh?

    Boy, can you imagine how the guys did all this in the old days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking round bales Mark. One truck load would last me almost all winter.
    I like the way you move them... I have to move mine one at a time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old saying: Make hay while the sun shines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jim. I have heard alot of stories about how they used to do alot things in the old days. Times have sure changed. I by myself can probably move more hay in a day, than a crew of many have in a year. I'll just bet they never even dreamed how things would be so different in the future. I can remember throwing alot of square bales around in my younger days, but I have never had to fork loose hay or bundles onto a wagon pulled by horses. Don't think I've ever seen it either. The good old days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jeanie. They are nice round bales. I hav'nt even broke one this year yet. Ya know, if you were to bribe me with a prime rib dinner or something, a load of those just might end up in your back yard. lol. Maybe the boss would'nt notice me, the truck, and 34 hay bales missing in action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tony. Thats the way it is, make hay when the sun shines, but I also wonder about a basement, I'm kinda thinking it should be done when the sun is shining also. I don't know, I guess the hay that will be fed within a year is more important than a house that will be lived in for possibly a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow everything looks so green up there :) nice photos! I hope everything is going well for you, when does the cold weather start to set in? Hopefully not for a while! How were the peaches this year? Looks like you have been busy, too.
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marrrrrrrrrrrrrk!! Where are you?!?!?!?! Hope everything's okay!

    ReplyDelete