Well today I talked to a permit man from Calgary, who did'nt like my foundation plans. They're not up to code. lol. I really think they enjoy saying that, "you can't do that". lol. That was the first one of those I heard out of probably many more to come. I guess my plans simply made too much sense. It is too logical to put a simple treated wood post foundation under a cabin in Alberta, I guess. No, they want to treat my little cabin, like it is a mansion or something. If I had my way, she'd have skids under it. If ever it decided it wanted to shift or sink a little I would take a jack, and level it. If I decided I did'nt like the spot where she sat, I would drag it somewhere else. It's going to be 16x24, and it needs a perimiter wall type foundation of some sort. The footings need to be 4 feet below grade. By the time I build those walls 4 feet and then the additional above ground, I almost should go with a basement. After all, I am building the walls anyway. I'm not real sure, but I think thats what they want. Then I can get the thrill out of paying more annual taxes. It kinda all goes against everything that I have been planning though. Makes sense in away though. Well here I am with all this smoke coming out of my ears, my brain is working overtime, and my guts are gnawing away at me. I have decided not to be in a hurry anymore. It seems the more I want to get after things, the more that obstacles keep jumping in my way and it is stressing me out. Things are at a stand still until I draw up some different plans for a foundation and get it faxed to mr permit guy. Today, I was at the public library looking up building codes and all that. I'm thinking about throwing some good money out there and purchasing some internet rights to all the codes, but the damn things arn't really written in the same language that I speak anyway. A bunch of mumble gumble. I did'nt come across it, but I'll bet that there is a code of which way to hang the toilet paper roll. I think I'll look that one up.
Anyway the foundation change is just a small obstacle, but already an obstacle, kinda makes me wonder whats next. I could go with the foundation that I had drawn up, but the way I understand it, is that it would have to be drawn up (or designed) by a professional building engineer. Or something. I phoned a couple of those, and did'nt seem to get a whole bunch of help. I guess it's not a big deal, but it is more cash, and it is also another delay as I have to re-educate myself now, quickly before I know what to fax the man. I'm thinking that the new style foundation could be alot better in the long run though and I am getting closer to knowing what to do all the time. Any good advice would surely be welcome.