Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Frugal Canadian Surveyer

I thought maybe I have given mother nature enough time to get rid of most of the snow. Here is a picture of that picnic table again, just for snow comparison reasons. There is still a little of the white stuff laying around, but I can get around real good. I also drive my truck right in if I want.
So I phoned around for a couple estimates to get an idea how much it would cost to get my 3.6 acres of land surveyed. I need to know where all the corners are. There are six of them. One guy is a minimum of $750.00 but I never did get a maximum out of him. I did'nt think of it. The other guy said $500.00-$600.00 if all the markers are there, but if not, it could run about $2500.00. From experience I think I know how this all goes. I thought I better go and give it try myself, maybe even if I can find 2 or 3 stakes it might help. Apparently the stakes could be buried 6 - 12 inches in the ground and they were put in quite a long time ago. It is harder than I thought. I did'nt have much luck today, I do know of two survey markers near the entrance of my property, and I'm not totally sure which one to go from, I'm sure one is my corner, but which one? Hopefully I will figure it out eventually. It is quite possible I might have to get a real surveyer to help me out with this eventually, but I'll see what I can do for now.
The creek is running pretty fast, although it is not as deep as I always thought it usually was this time of year.
I don't know what it is, but sometimes the simplest suppers are the best. And the little dog agreed with me 100%. We both like roasted weiners over the fire. It was nice weather for awhile, but it ended up getting pretty windy and rainy before the weiner roast was all complete. I did'nt really feel the wind that much, but I could hear it and the trees were acting real funny.

12 comments:

  1. The pictures are beautiful, my friend! Do you think maybe a metal detector could help in locating the markers? Just a thought!

    The pup looks like he is all set for a hot dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, nice land, whats that white stuff I see here and there, lol, I am out on my boat this coming weekend, finally some decent weather down in the Toronto area.

    Pricey on the surveying, whats the purpose just to define your area so to not go off your property?? private property next door???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jim. I have a cheap radio shack metal detector that I was using, but I was a little off. Things went not too bad today though. A little more measuring and less guessing. 4 down 2 to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Coal. The white stuff likes it here. It was -3 C here today, and snowing and blowing off and on today. I have to know where all my boundaries are to make sure I am far enough away when I start to develope my acerage. With the creek and all, I may need to crowd my borders as much as possible to stay far enough away from the creek with sewer etc. I need to know so I can draw up a plan and know where to put everything so it all fits. I think I'll get it done on my own though without hiring anyone. Happy boating Coal, must be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures Mark,
    Congratulations on finding 4 out of 6 markers so far...that's great!
    Hope the new snow melts fast for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jeanie. At first I did'nt think I was going to find any, but once I got warmed up, I was on a roll. Hopefully the other two wont be too much of a challenge. Seems summer has come and gone already. Winter is back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mark! Things are looking good there! Good luck with your remaining 2 markers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cath. Going out there this morning again pretty quick, just going to let the sun come out for a bit. They're wanting me at work also, but I guess they'll just have to wait. lol. Priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning area you live in Mark! I envy you all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Molly. The snow is nice for awhile, but I would really like to see it go away for now. It can come back next winter. It snowed the other day, but that fresh stuff did'nt stay long. There is still a little laying around in the shadey places from the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mark!!! You're not still wandering around looking for those markers, are yah? lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. Nah, there is one that I could'nt find, it is missing in action, but I don't care. I have a real good idea where it should be and it is a long way from the action. I guess maybe an update is in order. Thanks Cath.

    ReplyDelete